First Unitarian Universalist Church of Essex County
The Neighborhood Project Grants program is a collaboration between HANDS and The HUUB to support resident-led projects in the Heart of Orange neighborhood.
We fund projects that build community, strengthen social networks, cultivate neighborhood leadership, expand youth activities, promote wellness and health and celebrate the city's diversity.
Awards will be up to $500 for community-based projects focused on the following areas:
- Youth Activities and Leadership - Mentoring, tutoring, arts classes, music lessons, sports teams, drama club, dance teams
- Economic Development - Skills training workshops or classes, food or tool co-op, revolving loan program
- Neighborhood Beautification - Murals, community gardens, art installations, lot clean-ups
- Celebrating Culture and Diversity - Street fairs, music festivals, art shows, traditional celebrations
- Health & Safety - Block associations, exercise groups, dinner with a police officer, walking school bus
WE WANT TO:
- Increase resident engagement and leadership to improve the Orange’s quality of life;
- Help cultivate resident-led projects that address pressing neighborhood issues;
- Provide resources to support leadership development for youth and adults;
- Support strong relationships among residents, grassroots groups, anchor institutions, and community assets working to improve Orange.
All projects must:
Orange is full of talented people with exciting ideas about how to make the city a better place. We are accepting applications from resident groups for projects in the Heart of Orange neighborhood. Groups may be long-standing, newly established or in the process of forming, and are not required to have non-profit or 501(c)(3) status.
- Be led by Orange residents or businesses, but can partner with other stakeholders or groups;
- Include at least one event that benefits the Heart of Orange neighborhood and/or its residents.
Project Grant Workshops:
- Saturday, February 10, 10am-12pm
- Tuesday, February 13, 10am and 5pm
- Monday, February 26, 10am and 5pm
Workshops are held at The HUUB at First UU of Essex, 35 Cleveland St, Orange, NJ. RSVP at the EventBrite page -
Facebook event pages with more information are here – bit.ly/NPGWorkshop
Application forms are available in English and Haitian Creole, in Microsoft Word and PDF:
Online applications are available as well:
English version – https://goo.gl/forms/yxVBqRZI5zx847zv1
Haitian Creole version - https://goo.gl/forms/yxVBqRZI5zx847zv1